Sunday, August 25, 2013

Double Dill Tartar Sauce



My sister calls me "Condiment Boy".  This does not bother me at all.  In fact, I embrace it.  I love creating interesting sauces, dips and spreads.  They're usually easy to create, easy to put together and easy to clean up after.  Also, you can eat the same basic meal over and over and over and by simply switching out the condiment(s) you use, you will never get bored.  Or at least I won't get bored.  You might... but then, you aren't "Condiment Boy".

This fascination may stem from a deeply ingrained need to avoid being bored.  A ham and cheese sandwich is a perfectly tasty lunch. Some snooty restaurants may try to spice this up with Spanish ham and shaved truffles.  For me, some jarred roasted red peppers and some homemade honey mustard makes this boring lunchbox fare into something... fancy.
This "technique" also helps to defer some of the guilt that tags along with my favorite guilty pleasures. Making something fresh is my payment to Dionysus for allowing me to indulge myself in whatever crap I picked up in the frozen food section. Homemade BBQ sauce makes chicken nuggets acceptable. Homemade caramel tops a week-long ice cream binge. And yesterday, a homemade tartar sauce made frozen fish sticks into a delightful treat.

Tartar sauce is tasty.  A classic combination of sweet relish and mayo.  Wait... what???  Sweet relish??? Blech. Any form of sweet pickles make me throw up in my mouth a little bit.  I'm just sayin'.  My tartar sauce is ALWAYS made with dill pickles. I'm surprised that it took me this long to take the "dillyness" even further.

Ingredients:
1 dill pickle spear, seeded and minced (I like to eat the seeds and then chop the rest of the pickle into superduper tiny pieces)
2 tbsp mayo
1 tsp dried dill

Mix it all together. (No wonder I love condiment recipes!)



No comments:

Post a Comment